We are excited to announce The Language Learning Scholarship Contest. This scholarship is in honor of renowned linguist and language educator, Dr. Paul Pimsleur. In honor of his commitment to language-study research, this award will help make language and culture more accessible to American college students.
Pimsleur believed in cultural exploration as a lifetime pursuit and that effective communication needn't be cost-prohibitive. This scholarship opportunity can help provide an immersive experience consistent with Pimsleur's mission to take language learning out of the classroom and into the world.
The $1000 scholarship will be awarded to one qualifying student with the most thought-provoking and well-reasoned essay as judged by a panel of Internet Order LLC staff members.
* Be sure to read the rules and submission details carefully before entering. No purchase necessary and no fees are required to enter.
- Open only to college-bound graduating high school seniors and students currently enrolled in college (U.S. students only).
- Limited to one entry per student. Attempts at multiple essay entries or invalid information will result in disqualification.
- Plagiarism on any part of the essay will result in immediate disqualification. Don't do it.
The full set of official rules and disclaimers can be found here.
How To Win:
Select one of the two topics listed below, then write a responsive essay, 500 word minimum and 1000 word maximum. Writing more than the minimum requirement does not necessarily increase your chances! Submit your essay by July 31st before 5 p.m. EST. Contestants will be evaluated on the quality and clarity of the ideas presented in their essay.
- If you could learn any new language, what would it be and why?
- Which country has had the greatest impact on American culture and why?
Email your essay to email@example.com attached as a Microsoft Word document (a .doc file). Please name your document file with your first and last name. For example: firstname_lastname.doc.
In the email, include:
- Phone Number
- City and State
- College you're attending, plan to attend or have applied for admission
The scholarship recipient will be selected and notified directly by August 15th and announced on this page.
"In keeping with Dr. Pimsleur's vision of learning new languages in a real-world context, our goal is to help students naturally attain language skills by easing the financial burden."
"We strive to make language retention affordable and easy through our products, so we're now extending that philosophy to highly motivated college students seeking immersive experiences."
"Developed by Paul Pimsleur, an extremely well respected, internationally-known language expert. He developed a special way of learning a language which is all audio, the way we first learned our language as a child."
"The Pimsleur Approach, ... boil[s] down the essential elements of a foreign language so that beginners can acquire basic skills immediately..."