Pimsleur Approach's 2014 Study Abroad Scholarship
We are excited to announce The Study Abroad Scholarship Contest! This scholarship is in honor of renowned linguist and language educator, Dr. Paul Pimsleur. In honor of his commitment to language-study research, this award will help make language and culture more accessible to American college students.
Pimsleur believed in cultural exploration as a lifetime pursuit and that effective communication needn't be cost-prohibitive. This scholarship opportunity can help provide an immersive experience consistent with Pimsleur's mission to take language learning out of the classroom and into the world.
Students with the most thought-provoking and well-reasoned essay, as judged by a panel of Internet Order LLC staff members, will win one of the three top prizes:
1st $1000 + Pimsleur Approach system of your choice
2nd $500 + Pimsleur Approach system of your choice
3rd Pimsleur Approach system of your choice
* Be sure to read the rules and submission details carefully before entering. No purchase necessary and no fees are required to enter.
- Open only to college-bound graduating high school seniors and students currently enrolled in college (U.S. students only).
- Limited to one entry per student. Attempts at multiple essay entries or invalid information will result in disqualification.
- Plagiarism on any part of the essay will result in immediate disqualification. Don't do it.
The full set of official rules and disclaimers can be found here.
How To Win:
Write a response essay, 500 word minimum and 1000 word maximum. Writing more than the minimum requirement does not necessarily increase your chances! Submit your essay by September 30th, 2014 before 5 p.m. EST. Contestants will be evaluated on the quality and clarity of the ideas presented in their essay.
Select one of the three topics listed below:
- In what ways will studying abroad help you gain an understanding of your family's heritage/culture?
- How will you be integrating your business education with your study abroad experience?
- How will studying abroad help you better understand the culture you live in?
Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org attached as a Microsoft Word document (a .doc file). Please name your document file with your first and last name. For example: firstname_lastname.doc.
In the email, include:
- Phone Number
- City and State
- College you're attending, plan to attend or have applied for admission
The scholarship recipient will be selected and notified directly by
October 15th, 2014 and announced on this page.
"In keeping with Dr. Pimsleur's vision of learning new languages in a real-world context, our goal is to help students naturally attain language skills by easing the financial burden."
"We strive to make language retention affordable and easy through our products, so we're now extending that philosophy to highly motivated college students seeking immersive experiences."
"Developed by Paul Pimsleur, an extremely well respected, internationally-known language expert. He developed a special way of learning a language which is all audio, the way we first learned our language as a child."
"The Pimsleur Approach, ... boil[s] down the essential elements of a foreign language so that beginners can acquire basic skills immediately..."