French Language and Culture
France is the most visited country in the world. It is well-known for its incredible cuisine, its fashion, its wealth of museums, and its cultural havens.
Here are several sites that focus on French culture, haute cuisine, literature, monuments, fashion, and sports.
French Culture Overviews
- This is a guide to French culture, society, language, etiquette, customs, manners, and protocol.
- French history is deep and varied, dating back thousands of years to prehistoric man. Find out more here.
- Living in or visiting France requires tact and cultural insight. Here are some important Dos and Don'ts in France.
- Paris-anglo.com is an interesting mix of sites with detailed information about France.
- Explore this website to find a wealth of clearly written information about today's France, the country, its extraordinary diversity, its heritage, and its way of life.
- On this site, the French Ministry of Culture and Communication provides information on French chateaus, monasteries, cathedrals, palaces, and other important monuments. (In French and in English)
Today, Paris is considered one of the world's fashion capitals, and the city is home to many of the premier
haute couture fashion houses such as:
Fashion has been an important industry and cultural export of France since the seventeenth century.
Here you can check a few of the French brands that are sold in any shopping mall:
If you are looking for information on today's, yesterday's and tomorrow's fashion and clothing, museums
and fashion institutes are valuable sources of reference material:
You can learn more about fashion in France either in its history or in the ways writers and
commentators interpret it. Take a look at these sites to find out more:
Several fashion fairs anticipate and extend their sessions with a website, so you can keep your finger
on the pulse of haute couture year-round:
Gastronomy and Wines
- The experts at UNESCO have decided that the French gastronomic meal, with its rituals and presentation, fulfills the conditions to be included on the prestigious list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Read all about it here:
- This site is a good start to discover the wines of France, their varieties, history, and regions: Bordeaux, Champagne, Alsace, and more.
- Each year a haute gastronomie contest takes place in France, and the Bocuse d'Or trophy is the supreme award. The Bocuse d'Or is named after the internationally renowned chef Paul Bocuse. Take a glance at some of the presented dishes, or more precisely: oeuvres d'art.
- Perhaps one of the best ways to have a glimpse at French cuisine is to take a one-day cooking class while visiting Paris. Found out how:
- Soccer is the most popular sport in France. Another one is rugby. Each year these group sports attract thousands of fans to France's most outstanding stadiums such as: Parc des Princes or Stade de France. Take a look to find out more:
Le Tour de France
La Pelote Basque
Do you know of a resource that should be
added to this list? E-mail us and let us know!
________________________ SHARE ________________________